Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bruno Weber, Wood Carver

Obituary from Tiffin Advertiser-Tribune, Aug. 7, 1953

I'm not sure if this solves the mystery of who carved the wooden statues of Mary and Joseph at St. Joseph in Tiffin, but now we have some more detail about Bruno Weber, a master carver who worked for the Tiffin Manufacturing Company.

According to a Seneca County history book, after Weber arrived in 1890, the company "turned to totally manufacture church furniture, producing high quality altars, communion rails, paneling, pews, confessionals and statues." Other examples of Weber's work include scrollwork at Trinity United Methodist church in Fremont, and candlesticks at Mother of Sorrows church in Put in Bay.

3 comments:

irene said...

The obit says he did the wood carving for St. Joseph's. It also said he did the woodcarving for the cathedral. I presume that includes the retired cathedra. All the more reason to drag it out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin ... this is an AWESOME article/obit. ! ... what a great find ! ... he was an amazingly talented guy !

Debbie W. said...

Kevin, I just happened across your blog post today (4-7-2010). I am Bruno Weber's granddaughter. I would love to chat with you about him. Please contact me - I look forward to hearing from you! Debbie W.